A bailiff is required when there is a possession order which has ordered the defendant(s) to give possession of a property to the claimant and the deadline for doing so has passed. It is unlawful for any unauthorised person to enforce a possession order, it must be a bailiff.

In some cases, where a possession order is granted it may be sought that the court provides permission to the transfer the case to the high court which would then enable the claimant (landlord) to use a High Court Enforcement Officer.
The default tenancy is an assured short hold tenancy (“AST”), section 5 of the Housing Act 1988 which applies to AST’s provides that a tenancy does not come to an end by the possession order, but the execution of the possession order, a bailiff is the person authorized to execute a possession order under a warrant or writ.

What is the difference between a county court bailiff and high court enforcement officer?

In broad sense, a high court enforcement officer has more powers than that of a county court bailiff such as how they may gain entry to a property, the fundamental difference however which makes HCEO’s appealing to landlords is that they carry out eviction in most cases substantially quicker than a county court bailiff.

A HCEO operates under the authority of a writ where a county court bailiff operates under the authority of a warrant. In some cases, a HCEO may enforce the landlords right of forfeiture if instructed to do so in which case a writ would not be required from the court. There are different rules in relation to evictions and debt recovery for residential and commercial premises.

residential tenant eviction service
Possession claim procedure for eviction

We lead the way with evictions, helping landlords are agents nationally with a guaranteed eviction service and free advice line. Click to read our eviction service page.

Contact our experts now

our free advice line
020 3903 2000

Our expertise in property law has not brought only landlords and agents to us, but also solicitors and others in the legal profession.




British Landlords Association The BLA


landlord advice uk on channel 5


Why are you different to other firms?

We aren’t just an eviction company, we specialise in property law and our impartial advice can prove the same beyond doubt. We lead the way with evictions Nationally because of our knowledge and success in helping landlords and agents.

Can I evict the tenant if I lost my agreement?

Yes you can still evict your tenant in the absence of a written tenancy agreement, we will assess the arrangements between the parties to determine the type of tenancy in order to serve the correct notice, the tenancy will likely be the default tenancy agreement which is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement.

I live abroad, can you still handle my case?

Yes, we deal with many overseas landlords and gain possession of their property in their absence and keep them up to date through the process. We can even secure the property after the eviction.

How can you guarantee an eviction?

Our expertise and knowledge in property law allows us to guarantee landlords and agents eviction. In most cases it is a matter of legal compliance and accuracy which determines if we can guarantee if eviction. Where legal compliance has been an issue for the landlord we will advise and assist comply with relevant legislation to enable a successful eviction.