New Regulations for Wales to Restrict Evictions until 11 January 2021
To protect against Coronavirus transmission, the Welsh Government has passed The Public Health (Protection from Eviction) (Wales) (Coronavirus) Regulations 2020 (‘the Regulations’) which introduce a temporary eviction ban in Wales.
No notices of eviction by a bailiff eviction notices can be served on residential tenants nor can bailiffs possession orders from11 December 2020 until 11 January 2021 unless an exemption applies. The exemptions are:
- To evict trespassers,
- To evict occupants on the grounds of anti-social behaviour,
- To evict occupants on the grounds of nuisance, and
- Where a property is unoccupied following the death of a tenant.
These rules are similar to the rules in England, however, the rules in England also include the following exemptions:
- where serious rent arrears have accrued (at least 9 months’ rent arrears before the pandemic) and;
- tenants who have provided false statements can still be evicted.
The Public Health (Coronavirus) (Protection from Eviction and Taking Control of Goods) (England) Regulations 2020 here.